Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rode Hard and Put Up Wet

Okay, so where the hell have I been for 2 months? Like this; I took a new job at the company I currently work for (hopefully, not for long, but that is a tale for another time) so for almost 4 months I have been in a constant state of stress. Why? Well...it turns out that I am training myself.
Like this. When this job came open I expressed interest in taking it over. It is a problem area for the company and I thought that my 30 years of management experience would serve to turn this area around and solve some of the problems we have traditionally encountered. Since my predecessor was already out of the picture, I began doing the job in a limited way assuming that a) my employer would make some sort of official job offer to me and that b) I would have to have some training before I could fully assume the position. Since then, I have HAD to take over the job full-time. It is a labor intensive position that simply can't be performed in conjuction with other work. I have yet to have anyone tell me that I officially have the job. Instead, I find out in an internal list of employee contact info. There it is, my name and contact information alongside my new title. No raise, no official promotion. Worse...no training.
Look, I realize that most people would look at this as a blessing in disguise. I mean, after all, who wants to hang out with their boss for a few hours every day for some unknown period of time. My primary complaint is that I am treated as if I have had 160 hours of formal training on this job. I am held accountable, I am expected to perform at a high level of competence and I am summarily called on the carpet when mistakes are made. Okay but, the stress is killing me!
I don't mean to bitch but I have just been too damned tired to enjoy any of my favorite pursuits, one of which is posting to this blog.
So, forgive me if I don't post as much as I would like but I come home every day feeling like I have been rode hard and put up wet.

No comments: